College of Engineering at National Chung Cheng University, established in 1989, hosts six departments and graduate institutes: Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering , Department of Electrical Engineering , Department of Mechanical Engineering , Department of Chemical Engineering , Department of Communications Engineering , and Institute of Opto-Mechatronics. In the academic year 2005, the College has 104 faculty members with Ph.D. degrees and 2,661 students enrolled in Ph.D. (156), M.S. (1,004), and B.S. (1,501) programs.
The 104 faculty members of the college have received recognition in various research fields and are active in publishing results in international and domestic journals, conference proceedings, and patents. Many of them have achieved international and domestic research awards including NSC distinguished and outstanding research awards, NSC regular research awards, Chinese Engineering Society engineering awards, IEE Fellow, IEEE Fellows, President of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, etc.
Special Features in Pursuit of Excellence
Guiding teamwork in joint projects
With the 6 departments and graduate institutes, the faculty members have their own specialties. To integrate the expertise from various fields for joint projects, the University has different research centers: Automation Research Center, Advanced Machine Tools Center, Center for Telecommunication Research, Internet Research Center. The aim is to help research cooperation among the academia and industries, to help establish a good relationship with companies, and to raise funding. With more budgets, the College can renew the facilities for research and teaching, promote the quality of research and teaching, and raise the quality and the quantity of the research papers. The results will also benefit the industries through the technical support and interaction, resulting in good contribution to the society.Emphasizing the research on high technology products
To match the pace of the knowledge-based economical developments and the global high-tech advances, the College is expanding the facility and actively searching for the international experts in the fields to promote the research. This will benefit the domestic industries in research quality.Training the engineers for the industries
To achieve this goal, the departments and the institutes in the College emphasize both theory and practicality so that the students can become a part of high technological personnel that put the theory into practice. Such programs help the students develop independent thinking and learning. The students have opportunities in participating in research projects and off-campus learning in companies and factories. The students will develop the ability of teamwork, leadership, and research. Brining out their potentials, they can become the elite engineers that the industries need.Hosting domestic and international academic activities
The College organizes domestic and international academic activities regularly. This contributes to the research cooperation and also promotes the reputation of the College worldwide.
Founded ten years ago, the Engineering College of National Chung Cheng University has demonstrated a rapid growth to be a prominent university in Taiwan with a solid research and education foundation. In its continual quest for academic excellence, how to synergistically integrate and fully utilize existing resources while maintaining a great flexibility in response to worldwide technological trends will determine if the College can have a successful and sustainable growth into the 21st century. Considering the global technology trends and the national development plan of science and technology, the College has set up a multi-year plan to establish Institute of Advanced Manufacturing Engineering, Department of Telecommunication, Institute of Biotechnology and Engineering, Institute of Materials Engineering, and Institute of Microelectronics. In addition to its commitment to teaching and research excellence, the College is actively engaged with the industry through a close involvement with the University Incubation Center. The active interaction with local industries is establishing the College as an important research and technical center of the region of Chia-Yi and YunLin in the central-south Taiwan.
The effort of the past ten years has set a sound foundation for the Engineering College ready for the great challenges in 21st century. After completion of the multi-year plan, the College will include five undergraduate departments and ten graduate institutes offering master of science programs with four of them granting doctor of philosophy degrees. With its wide spectrum of curriculum and advanced laboratory facilities plus a peaceful and picturesque campus, the Engineering College of National Chung Cheng University is well positioned in recruiting the worldwide best faculty and young talented students around the country. Through innovative dedication of its faculty and students and strong team work spirit, the Engineering College is expected to become a prime research and teaching center in its chosen technology domains, including precision machinery, telecommunication, and biotechnology, brining itself one step closer to become a world class research university.
Educational Goals, Essential Disciplines and Core Competencies
1. Cultivating professional engineers mastering both theory and practice.
2. Training students to be self-motivated, innovative, pursuing excellence.
3. Training students to be skilled in interdisciplinary collaboration, and to have a global vision.
4. Cultivatingprofessional engineersto be aware of humanistic literacy and engineering ethics.Essential Disciplines
1. Professional knowledge: cultivate students to have professional knowledge in the related engineering fields who have ability to put the theory into practice.
2. Innovative attitude: cultivate students to be become enthusiastic, creative and positive thinking.
3. Broad perspectives: cultivate students to have ability of integration of multidisciplinary research, global and contemporary vision.
4. Noble characters: cultivate students to have awareness of engineering ethics and civic virtues.
5. Humanistic literacy: build and strengthen students' awareness of humanities and arts.Core Competencies
1. Specialized knowledge and skills in the related engineering fields and having the ability of life-long learning.
2. Ability to engage in data collection, independent thinking, problem solving and innovative research.
3. Capability of communication, coordination, integration skills and teamwork in multi-disciplinary settings.
4. Ability of understanding of international trends and advanced technology.
5. Capability to write and present technical materials.
6. Understanding of engineering ethics and social responsibilities.